23 June 2011

Lentil Daal

One of my favorite things on this Earth is curry. I know 1,001 uses for it and I would put in in everything if only there weren't so many other good flavors out there (like dill- I'll blog about my dill obsession later). I like to make all kinds of dishes with legumes, too, and so this is where the two heavens meet- in my mouth! *and here is where my Coven chimes in with, "That means two things!"*

Tonight I am making a lentil daal, as we embark on another round of "raw til dinner" vegan cleansing. This means we eat fruit for breakfast, take our raw multivitamin, drink lemon water throughout the day, eat a green salad or raw cabbage salad for lunch, and then have a vegan dinner chock full of proteins and greens. We follow that by downing a tincture of dandelion and milk thistle liver balancing thingie, and a cleansing senna tea at bedtime. It's fun except for the no-alcohol part. It usually drops about five pounds of unmentionable matter straight from the bowels in a week, too, and neither of us complain about that.

So here's how I threw together the lentil daal:

1 red onion, chopped
1 bulb garlic, sliced
2 tbsp coconut oil (Living Foods brand is not hydrogenated or refined)
1 lb dry lentils
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground ginger (I didn't have fresh on hand tonight, but use fresh!)
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp celery seed
salt & pepper to taste
2 cups fresh or frozen spinach


Cook the onion and garlic in the coconut oil until the onion is clear. Rinse the lentils and soak up to 20 minutes if desired. I mean, definitely rinse them, but you don't have to soak them. Add the lentils to the onion & garlic and cover with water. Bring to a boil, adding the spices and more water as necessary. Add more spices after tasting, to your preference. I like it very fragrant but not too spicy- others like it really spicy. After about 20 minutes or when lentils are just getting tender, add the spinach. It's really that freakin' easy! I don't have anything magickal to add except that this is a dish made with LOVE! And that is superbly magickal, don't you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment